This year is coming to a close and the New Year is upon us. This time always make me reflective on how I've progressed towards being a better person, and if I'm serving my family well.
And given that I'm a perpetual list maker, I reflected on my notes from the beginning of this year, dated on 1/15/2015 where I found a list titled "Healthy Lifestyle". And you know what? The list still holds true - this is what it takes to have a healthy lifestyle.
I scribbled out this list when Ben was deployed as a reminder of things I could do at night while the kids were asleep besides vegetate on the couch and be sad, worried, drink wine, eat or worse.. Google news about Afghanistan...
I frequently reviewed this list in the beginning as a reminder to stay positive, stay on task and focus on things that I could and still can control.
- No drinking alcohol (it is a depressant and leads to eating)
- Bed on time (get at least 8 hours of sleep a night)
- Exercise daily (at least 30 minutes)
- Eat a lot of vegetables
- Drink lots of water
Night Leisure Activities (instead of TV)
Night Drink Options (instead of alcohol)
- Hot tea
- Chocolate milk
- Water with oranges/fruit
Night Snack Options (instead of junk)
- Turkey, Chicken, Ham
- 8 Projects to complete around the house (you can see these in the notebook below the orange notebook): Paint hallways, redecorate kids bathroom and paint cabinets, paint master bath and cabinets, finish Lil Man's afghan (that I started 6 years ago :) ), yearly photo book, and other stuff like that.
- 4 Oil painting projects (as of now): 2 people portraits, 1 pet portrait and one landscape.
- 2 Weekly activities to progress my art: weekly live model drawing class, weekly real-time oil portrait painting session.
- 5 Categories of things to sell on eBay to get out of my house. :)
"the mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation". - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Write your list to make yourself a better fit for God's perfect plan: mind, body, soul and family.
- Write down what you'd like to accomplish.
- Keep these lists near by and reference them and evaluate frequently - it is OK to change the list as life demands change.