Some time ago I had a dish that I remember to this day, and it was well over 3 years ago – the dish had cherry sauce with chicken. I can’t remember the restaurant and I can’t remember the town but I sure remember that combination and I ate every-single-bite!
You know how your tastes and smells can take you back to a moment? Well a sip of 14 Hands Cabernet Sauvignon wine with it’s cherry flavor took me back to that moment; and I knew this was the right wine to try and recreate that dish with a fun twist – I made it to accent homemade chicken nuggets.
The chicken nuggets recipe came from The Taste of Home. Simple and delicious!
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup 14 Hands Merlot
- pinch of salt
- 1 16 oz bag of Frozen Dark Sweet Cherries – thawed and coarsely chopped
- Combine sugar, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, wine and a pinch of salt.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until a rolling boil.
- Add Cherries. Stirring constantly, bring back to a rolling boil until the liquid becomes thick (about 8 minutes).
- Pour hot mixture into hot jars, filling to 1/4 inch from top. Wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling-water bath 10 minutes.
Be sure to take a look at the Wine Peach Sauce as well – these sauces are the perfect accessory to most dishes!
What smell or culinary treat takes you back in time?