Last week I posted Cinnamon Blueberry Jam (which was Amanda’s favorite of the blueberry jams), and here is mine and my mom’s favorite of the blueberry jam.
So here is what is surprising to me, I can’t stand the two main ingredients outside of this jam: Green tomatoes – yuck,! Blueberries – blah! But in this delicious combo, holy cow was it awesome!!!
And I’ll be honest – I didn’t even want to taste it. And now it’s my favorite…go-figure…
How pretty are these colors together: if there were a professional football team that wore these colors I might actually watch them. – um, probably not, but it’s pretty…:)
- 5 cups fresh blueberries, stemmed
- 4 large green tomatoes, coarsely chopped (about 4 pounds)
- 1½ cups water
- 5 cups sugar
- 3 (1.75-ounce) packages fruit pectin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pulse blueberries and chopped tomato in a blender or food processor 3 or 4 times or until mixture is almost smooth.
- Add water, sugar, butter, salt, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg in large pot over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves.
- Stir in fruit pectin and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Pour hot mixture into hot jars, filling to ¼ inch from top. Wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling-water bath 10 minutes.
What surprising food combos have you run across?