GREEN TOMATO BLUEBERRY JAM!
So here is what is surprising to me, I can't stand the two main ingredients outside of this jam: Green tomatoes - yuck,! Blueberries - blah! But in this delicious combo, holy cow was it awesome!!!
And I'll be honest - I didn't even want to taste it. And now it's my favorite...go-figure...
How pretty are these colors together: if there were a professional football team that wore these colors I might actually watch them. :) - um, probably not, but it's pretty...:)
Be sure to check out my other favorite: Strawberry-Port Jam and for full instructions on how to "can", check out the Strawberry Jam post.
Green Tomato Blueberry Jam
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 15 Minutes
Total time: 30 Minutes
Yield: 8 Pints
- 5 Cups Fresh Blueberries, stemmed
- 4 Large Green Tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 5 Cups Sugar
- 3 (1.75oz) Packages Fruit Pectin
- 1 Tbs Butter
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- Pulse blueberries and chopped tomato in a blender or food processor 3 or 4 times or until mixture is almost smooth.
- Add water, sugar, butter, salt, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg in large pot over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves.
- Stir in fruit pectin and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Pour hot mixture into hot jars, filling to 1/4 inch from top. Wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling-water bath 10 minutes.