In this month’s Southern Living Magazine I ran across the picture on the table of contents of a Peanut Butter Banana Icebox Pie, it looked sooo yummy I had to make it. And like all the recipes from Southern Living, it was fantastic!
What I love about this dessert: it’s best made the night before a little gathering of friends (it needs 8 hours to chill in the fridge, then you can have a piece with coffee for breakfast – it’s great being an adult )
For the chocolate drizzle, I took a hand full of Semi-Sweet chocolate and a 1/4 cup of Heavy Whipping Cream, popped it in the microwave for a minute, stirred and drizzled it on with a spoon.
- 2 cups cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (about 15 sheets)
- ½ cup finely chopped honey-roasted peanuts
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 (4-oz.) semisweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 2 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- Toppings: sweetened whipped cream, chocolate syrup, chopped honey-roasted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together first 3 ingredients; firmly press on bottom, up sides, and onto lip of a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- Microwave chocolate and ½ cup whipping cream in a small microwave-safe bowl at MEDIUM (50% power) 1½ minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring at 30-second intervals. Whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. (Do not overheat.) Spoon chocolate mixture into prepared crust.
- Beat cream cheese, next 2 ingredients, and ¼ cup whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat vanilla and remaining 1¼ cups whipping cream at high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold one-third whipped cream mixture into peanut butter mixture to loosen; fold in remaining whipped cream mixture.
- Arrange banana slices over chocolate mixture in crust. Spread peanut butter mixture over bananas. Cover and chill 8 hours. Serve pie with desired toppings.