I'm completely not a fan of waste...and after wasting a roll of vinyl I found a way to make a stencil and make a vinyl wall decal so I don't waste the cutout.
How to Stop Wasting Silhouette Vinyl and Your Money!
- Adhesive Vinyl
- Transfer Paper (red-lined paper)
- Transfer Tape (which unfortunately only comes with Stencil Vinyl)
- Putty Knife ( bought at Lowe's)
- The Hook (FYI - don't order Silhouette's, it's less expensive to buy a Dental Hook)
- Paint (of your choice - I go with Lowe's Valspar because it includes Primer and Color, saves at least one coat)
- Sponge Brush (bought at Lowe's - 6 pack sponge brush - nice and inexpensive)
- Helpful Paperweights
Cut the picture you want on the Vinyl (turquoise), place the transfer tape (the clear stuff on the brown paper) on top of the vinyl.
With the transfer tape on the bottom side, work on peeling away the vinyl and making the vinyl adhere to the transfer tape. (It takes patience but is kind of relaxing - I created a Pandora station with Celtic Women - the kids work really well with this station.)
When you are done, you'll have two (2) pieces:
1) On the transfer tape for a Wall Stencil
2) On the original vinyl, you'll have the white sheet with the Wall Vinyl
(Note: I tried this with the Stencil Vinyl so I didn't offset the Stencil Vinyl, it didn't work as well as using the Vinyl and the transfer tape (brown stuff) and transfer vinyl (red line paper).
We'll start with the 1st.
You can place the stencil on the vinyl tape right on the wall, use your scraper to make sure the vinyl sticks to the wall (note you may need the hook to make sure the little details, like the petals, stay on the wall).
Grab your paint and paint brush!
Paint the stencil in and let it dry, add a second coat if needed.
2) Wall Vinyl
Take the other side, add the transfer paper, use the scraper again to make sure the vinyl adheres to the transfer paper.
Add the transfer paper to the wall, really use the scraper and go over the vinyl (you may need the hook to help push the vinyl to the wall).
And slowly peel off the transfer paper, and voila!
Hope this helps you guys and you don't lose sleep over it like I did. :)