Ring in the New Year with lots of noise and a tall dark and handsome man at your door!
Since we had kids, our New Years Eve tradition is to get together with my parents (who live only 4 miles away), play games (which includes some light trash talking ) and we are usually asleep by 10:30pm. The next day we dine on black-eyed peas with ham or andouille sausage, cornbread and something green (Dad make collard greens, I eat a spinach salad instead).
I read an interesting article on Snopes.com “New Years Superstitions”. Some of these I’d never heard of, but wanted to share:
- Stocking up the cupboards: “Larders must be topped up and plenty of money must be placed in every wallet in the home to guarantee prosperity”
- First Footing: The article is very detailed about who the first person through the door should be on New Years Day, has to be tall dark and handsome, if it is a red head or blonde and “female first footers should be shooed away before they bring disaster down on the household. Aim a gun at them if you have to, but don’t let them near your door before a man crosses the threshold.” (Um a wee bit harsh)
- Nothing goes out of the house
- Wear something new on January 1st. (Yeah I have an excuse to go shopping!!!)
- Don’t break anything (I think this is a good general rule )
- Open all the doors at midnight to let the year out
- Make Loud Noises so scare away evil spirits (I always thought it was just to celebrate)
What traditions or superstitions do you have for New Years Eve or New Years Day?